As a relationship counselor, I want to share an endless list of ways to cherish your partner while you are waiting for a baby.
The first step is simple, come to the realization that work needs to be a part of the equation. Back rubs, late night food calls, or supportive conversations.
Before diving into my list, I would love for you to do one small act first. Often, we, including myself, open questions with a list of answers. The foundation step should be to “ASK YOUR PARTNER.” Sit down with your expecting partner and ask the question:
“How can I cherish you while waiting for our baby?”
Below is a list that in all honesty should be never ending. The list should be like Hermione’s purse in Harry potter or the insanely looking purse Mary Poppins carried around. Never ending!
- If religion is a strong part of your relationship. Consider starting and ending each day with a devotional that focuses on the upcoming journey.
- Partners should strive to show enthusiasm and interest. This simply means that your partner will be expecting your child soon. Visit your local used book store and say hello to every baby related book. Allow your partner to see how involved you are. At times, the scariest feeling is that of feeling alone.
- As a couple’s therapist, I love encouraging partners to build mini bucket lists. As you wait for the baby, create a mini bucket list of activities to do or places to go. This opportunity will allow your partner to feel cherished while further strengthening the emotional bond in your relationship.
- Do not forget to separate the two. As the two of you await the baby, it is important to show your partner that you love them as one and the baby as another. My wife has always been a coffee lover. As literature guides expecting mothers, it is commonly known that coffee should be decreased and monitored for expecting mothers. As my wife and I waited for our baby, I made sure to splurge my wife with varieties of coffee. It paid off!
- “Treat yo-self”. One of my favorite shows is Parks and Recreation. The show highlights a character who has a set day during the year in which he “treats himself” to whatever he wants. No limits. Fun fact, babies are expensive. Before your beautiful expensive baby arrives, treat yo-self. Consider showing your partner that you cherish them by going out on a small shopping spree or a fun vacation! Did someone say Cruise?
- Cherish your partner with soft blankets, comfy pillows and endless Netflix. Your partner is going to be carrying around a baby. It may be in the dead of summer or freezing snow. Spend time being lazy. Call it super lazy season.
- Plan ahead. Yes, the list is supposed to be on ways to cherish your partner prior to the baby showing up. However, by planning upcoming events, vacations, and experiences your partner and you will see your baby as part of the journey.
The Premarital Course is designed for couples seeking to create a partnership that is strong, healthy and realistic for marriage. This course can help couples expecting by working on communication, boundaries, and respect.
One primary intention of this course is to help couples create the foundation that fuels a relationship with harmony and connection. This course helps partners prepare for marriage through the application of guided lessons and exercises. The premarital course is a series of lectures and guided activities that help couples prepare for marriage and their future together.
Mr. Juan Santos is a professional counselor and book author who specializes in relationship stability and understanding separation indicators. He is the author of Couples Workbook: Making Your Relationship Work; 100 Ways Married Men Remain Emotionally Connected; Life Without Stress; My Journal